Sunday, November 13, 2016

Mask Making






I chose these three masks because they caught my attention. They weren't just of one color, like many I had seen. They are colorful and all three look as if they are trying to tell a story. The design and craftsmen ship is amazing and very detailed.  

The first mask appears to be of a long face. The eyes are left open, for there is just a space without actual eyeballs. The mask appears to be all of one surface, there is not actual texture on the surface of the wood, but the designs all over the mask give visual texture.

The second mask has a lot going on. There are many different lines, designs, and textures. The shells towards the top of the mask are real, giving it a sort of rigid texture. It is full of color and different patterns, that all connect to one another. The eyebrows and flaps on either side towards the ear also have texture.

The third mask has texture all over it. There is texture at the top, where the fuzz and feathers are. There is texture at the bottom where it looks like it could be hay or straw fanning out from the chin. A ton of color is present, along with many lines, patterns, and designs.

All three of the masks are visually appealing.


In this mask I used the elements of Line in direction of horizontal. I also used the element of color and value. I believe this mask have the principle of proportion. Creating this mask was a bit of a challenge. While trying to utilize ideas from other masks that i researched along with ideas of my own. I had fun painting and stuffing the mask. My children tried to take over my project which i thought was hilarious. Overall I learned a lot about the African culture while creating the mask. I enjoyed this project.



No comments:

Post a Comment