Saturday, October 1, 2016

Art Gallery Visit #1

All photos are of artwork at the Albright Knox Art Gallery


               
Self Portrait with Monkey, Frida Kahlo (1938)

Bust of a Young Woman Turned to the Left, Pietro da Corona (1637)


Janet, Chuck Close (1992)

Justine Kurland, Alice O'Malley (2005)

Portrait of the Landscape Painter, Frederik Sødring-Christen Købke (1832)

Bird, James Vullo (1940)



1) The artwork that made an impact on me was Self Portrait with Monkey. It is one of my favorite pieces because it captured the natural beauty of the woman in the portrait. It showed a sense of self-love and confidence in her appearance and I felt that is symbolizes confidence and courage in self-conscious women. The other piece that impacted me was Janet but Chuck Close. The texture of the piece is what captivated me the most and the uncertainty of exactly what expression the woman in the piece is making is what impacted me as well. I can't tell whether the woman was happy or not but I like that.

2) The piece that I connected with was definitely Justine Kurland and that is because I remember how self-conscious my aunt was about her body when she was pregnant with my baby cousin. I like how the piece is of a naked pregnant woman, who is apparently proud of her naked body, despite the fact that her belly is round from pregnancy. Just like the Self Portrait with Monkey, I feel as though it is another piece that symbolizes confidence and courage. Another piece I connected with was the Portrait of the Landscape Painter. I like how a painter, painted, a painter. I feel as though is symbolizes perspective or the point of view of a painter from the eyes of another.

3)The artwork that I would like to understand more is the one The Bird. I honestly do not understand what is going in the image, the background, or what the bird represents. It is sort of an enigma to me actually. Another piece I'd like to understand more as well is The Bust of the Young Woman Turned to the Left. I appreciate the meticulousness and beauty of the bust itself but I don't understand it. I don't understand why it is turned to the left and I wish I did.



1 comment:

  1. I agree that the painting "Self Portrait with a monkey leaves a great impression because I think it is very exotic. I also agree with your interpretation of how confident the women in the picture is because she is looking directly at the viewer. I also think it is showing her love and intimacy with animals since the monkeys arm is draped around her and he too is confident and looks safe with her. I also thought your point of view for the painting "Bird" was intrestimgs as well I think it is hard to really know for sure what the artist was doing but I think the artist may have been trying to show what the birds see all around which is a lot of things. I came up with this while look at the bottom middle of the piece where there seems to be some forms of landscape and eve to the right side where trees are visible. what also got my attention and ask more about the piece was the second bird that seems to form on the top right side of the painting. I thought the pieces that you picked were very intresting.

    ReplyDelete